Re: Nouveau driver and kernel 2.6.32-5

On Thu, 17 Jun 2010 17:11:56 -0400 (EDT), Arthur Barlow wrote:

> I recently updated my kernel from 2.6.32-3 to 2.6.32-5, (Squeeze on an x86
> platform).  I noticed on reboot that shortly after the kernel booted the
> screen switched to a frame buffer for the remaining loading messages.  I
> have a desktop system that runs GNOME and so gdm started as usual and I
> logged in.  However, I have three different CPUs that go through a kvm
> switch and I usually have to reset modeline settings via "xvidtune" in X for
> my Debian CPU.
>
> xvidtune no longer worked.  I am using an Nvidia GeForce4 MX 4000 card.  I
> hunted around and found that some combination of Freedesktop.org and the X
> group are now using kernel based X drivers or the KMS modes.  It also
> appears that the "nv" driver disappeared and was replace by the "nouveau"
> driver.  This new driver seems to be the source of my xvidtune problems.
> Does anyone on this list know who the appropriate group to send a "bug
> report" to would be?  Thanks.

I experienced a similar problem on an older Nvidia card.  If you want to
get the old behavior back, create a file in /etc/modprobe.d with an extension
of .conf.  For example: /etc/modprobe.d/local.conf.  Then turn off kernel
mode setting with a line in this file that looks like this:

   options nouveau modeset=0

This will give you the hardware text-mode video modes on the text consoles
(1-6 by default) as before.  Then, as root, run

   update-initramfs -u

against the 2.6.32-5 initial RAM file system.  Then, shutdown and reboot.
The nouveau video driver in X won't work if the nouveau kernel module doesn't
do mode setting.  This should get your nv driver back.  Blacklisting the
nouveau kernel module might work too, but using modeset=0 as an option was
how I solved it.  (Make sure that /etc/modprobe.conf does not exist.  If it
does, then files in /etc/modprobe.d will be ignored.)

--
  .''`.     Stephen Powell
 : :'  :