Re: Lilo and Squeeze

On Thu, 17 Jun 2010 19:04:51 -0400 (EDT), Marc Shapiro wrote:
> My lilo.conf is as follows:
>
> # /etc/lilo.conf
>
> boot="UUID=5019cd9d-5d2e-4d7c-a6f4-0eccb5144c77"
>
> Can anyone tell me what is causing this?
> I have never had problems with lilo, before.  It always 'just works'.

Marc,

lilo does not support the specification of the boot device using UUIDs.
The traditional /dev nomenclature must be used.  For example,

   boot=/dev/sda

The same goes for the "root" specification.  This can be a problem if you
want to boot back and forth between two kernels, one of which treats
the devices as traditional IDE (/dev/hda) and the other of which
treats the devices as SCSI emulation (/dev/sda).

Let me warn you that the kernel maintainer scripts don't work with lilo
as well as they used to.  For example, simply specifying

   do_bootloader = yes

used to cause lilo to be run in the event of a new kernel install or
a kernel upgrade.  That is no longer the case.  I recommend that you
visit the following web site: http://www.wowway.com/~zlinuxman/Kernel.htm.
Scroll down to "Step 10: customize the kernel installation process",
and read the stuff there.  This web site is primarily for people who
want to build their own custom kernels, but much of the information in
step 10 is also applicable to people who only run stock kernels.
In particular, there is a section under "Customizing the Lenny Environment"
that specifically explains how to convert from grub-pc to lilo.
Yes, I know you are running Squeeze, not Lenny; but those instructions
will work with Squeeze too, provided you use only stock kernels.
If you want to roll your own kernel, you really should read the whole
document.

--
  .''`.     Stephen Powell
 : :'  :