Lilo and Squeeze

There has been a lot of talk about lilo and squeeze on the list lately, but I don't really want to get into that argument.  I have been using lilo for a dozen years, since I started using linux.  I am comfortable with lilo.conf.  I have never bothered to figure out grub's menu.lst and I certainly don't understand grub2's grub.cfg.

I installed Eeebuntu on my eeepc when I got it.  It was using grub.  I have since installed Squeeze, since I am happier with pure Debian.  That install uses grub2.  I would like to continue using lilo.

Now, lilo is still avaiilable in Squeeze, so I installed it and ran liloconfig.  This resulted in an error saying that the root device might be a raid, or some other configuration that liloconfig could not handle, and that I should write my own lilo,conf.  OK.  I can do that.  Having done so, however, and then running lilo, I get the following error:

      # lilo
      Warning: LBA32 addressing assumed
      Fatal: raid_setup: stat("UUID=5019cd9d-5d2e-4d7c-a6f4-0eccb5144c77")

I have never used a raid setup and there is nothing special about this configuration.  My lilo.conf is as follows:

# /etc/lilo.conf

boot="UUID=5019cd9d-5d2e-4d7c-a6f4-0eccb5144c77"
vga=normal
compact
prompt
timeout=100
default=Squeeze

# To use the new LILO boot menu, add the following
bitmap=/boot/debian.bmp
bmp-colors=1,,0,2,,0
bmp-table=120p,173p,1,15,17
bmp-timer=254p,432p,1,0,0
install=bmp

# install=menu
map=/boot/map

image=/vmlinuz
    root=/dev/sda11
    initrd=/initrd.img
    label=Squeeze
    read-only

image=/vmlinuz
    root=/dev/sda3
    initrd=/initrd.img
    label=Eeebuntu
    read-only

image=/boot/memtest86+.bin
    root=/dev/sda3
    label=Memtest86+

other=/dev/sda1
    label=Windows

#### End of lilo.conf ######

Can anyone tell me what is causing this?  I have never had problems with lilo, before.  It always 'just works'.

I am assuming, since lilo never actually completed, that my MBR is unaffected and I can still power down and reboot with the existing grub setup, but it would be nice to have some assurances.

--
Marc Shapiro
mshapiro_42@yahoo.com