Re: dist-upgrade locked resolution at 640x480

fixing the quoting...

On Thu, Jun 17, 2010 at 06:08:17PM +0100, James Allsopp wrote:
> On 17 June 2010 18:03, Thomas H. George <lists@tomgeorge.info> wrote:
>

> > A dist-upgrade resulted in a problem:
> >
> > The display resolution is stuck at 640x480 and the X window is moved to
> > F9.
> >
> > My system is Debian Squeeze.  Yesterday (16 Jun 10) I ran apt-get update
> > and apt-get dist-upgrade. The system was shutdown overnight.  When
> > rebooted this morning the X window was at F9 and the resolution 640x480.
> > I ran startupmanager which reported the resolution to be 1600x1200 but
> > the system remained stuck in the 640x480 mode.
> >
> > Anyone else encountering this problem?  Is there another way to change
> > the resolution?
>
> Check your HorizSync and VertRefresh values in /etc/X11/xorg.conf. It's
> probably just set values that are woefully low to be on the safe
> side.

If he even has an xorg.conf.

OP, maybe look at the output of xrandr from a terminal in the X
session. It should list the available output resolutions. If you post
that along with the contents of /etc/X11/xorg.conf, if it exists,
along with /var/log/Xorg.0.log to this list you should get reasonable
response.