Re: Did any recent testing update break ATI fglrx drivers?

On 2010-06-17 19:00 +0200, Matteo Riva wrote:

> On Thu, Jun 17, 2010 at 6:49 PM, Sven Joachim <svenjoac@gmx.de> wrote:
>
>> In the subject line you talk about ATI fglrx.  So what graphics card do
>> you have?
>
> I'm sorry, my card is a Mobility Radeon 3430.
>
>> There is a new kernel in squeeze that includes shiny KMS framebuffer
>> drivers for both Radeon and Nvidia cards.  These are incompatible with
>> the proprietary blobs from ATI and Nvidia.
>
> Can you point me to more information on this topic?

For Radeon cards, http://wiki.debian.org/KernelModesetting has some
information.

> I'm looking for an
> alternative to the FOSS radeonhd driver which works but uses too much
> CPU (and my laptop suffers from overheating) and has limited
> configuration options for external displays.

You should use the radeon driver instead, radeonhd is incompatible with
KMS (http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=575226).  Make
sure to install the firmware-linux-nonfree package.

Powersaving for Radeon cards is work in progress and requires the latest
and greatest kernel (2.6.35-rc3 at the moment).

Sven