Re: Rebuilding RAID 1 Array in Linux with a new hard disk after a disk fault - Howto with screen shots

On Wed, June 16, 2010 15:47, Michal wrote:

> One way is to label the disks themselves so you simply do;
>
> cat /proc/mdstat which might say /dev/sd3 is down. Open the case, look
> for the disk labled /dev/sde and replace it. If you have LED's like
> servers have (probably not) they can be a fiddle to get working but it's
> possible

No LED's for drives, it already has them for every pci slot,
looks like a Christmas tree :)

I think you meant /dev/sde instead of sd3, right? If not, please correct me.
If I'm not mistaken, mdadm will report the broken drive,
then I have to look for the drive that corresponds to the 4th sata slot on
the motherboard.
That's part of my issue, can I be sure that the drive connected to port 4
is /dev/sde?
It's not a problem for the other 2 drives, as they differ in capacity,
but these 4 are exactly the same size.

Also how accurate is mdadm in identifying the failed drive?
As there are only 2 in an array, there is only 1 copy of the data to
compare to.

It also seems my last message was sent twice, sorry about that.

--
Rarely do people communicate; they just take turns talking.