Re: Upgrade Kernel, Lose External Display

On 06/12/2010 03:20 PM, Sven Joachim wrote:
On 2010-06-12 21:06 +0200, Gilbert Sullivan wrote:

I have both xserver-xorg-video-nouveau and xser-xorg-video-fbdev
installed (just confirmed it in aptitude), but it doesn't appear that
they are being used.

I see.  The latest xserver-xorg-core in sid uses nouveau by default, but
that version is not in squeeze yet (and will take some time to migrate
due to a dependency on a new libc6 on hppa).

Okay, that's beginning to make a little sense now. I thought that I had read that nouveau was going to be the new default once xserver-xorg-core was updated. I saw an update to that package in the beginning of May and assumed (apparently wrongly) that it was the version that was going to make nouveau the default. I could see that I wasn't using nouveau, but I wasn't concerned because everything was working.

I did try using the 4-line minimal xorg.conf file suggested at the
nouveau.freedesktop.org location to force nouveau to be used. When I
booted I got a blue text-graphics screen which said that X had failed
to start and which asked if I wanted to view the log (with a choice of
yes / no). However, I didn't get a chance to answer because I was then
unceremoniously dumped at the console logon prompt. I logged on as
root and removed the 4-line file, and then everything was as it had
been before.

It would be quite interesting to view the log with nouveau used as the X
driver.

I'll try reinstating the 4-liner configuration file and then get the dmesg output again.

I would trying turning KMS off just to see if I could learn anything,
but I haven't yet found out how to do it with a grub 2 system.

You may as well blacklist nouveau then, since it is completely useless
without KMS (the nouveau X driver requires KMS).  Note, however, that
without an xorg.conf the most recent xserver-xorg-core will still load
the module.

Sven

I think I'm losing my way here. Am I correct in thinking that I have to do both (turn off KMS and blacklist nouveau). I figured that this would then leave me with vesa as my driver. Do I need to also create an xorg.conf file that specifies vesa as my driver?

I'll do some tinkering and see what happens. I still haven't found out how to turn KMS off on this system. I've tried searching on "kernel mode setting" and various other terms, but all I ever find is information on how to turn it *on* on systems where it isn't the default. So far, the articles on that haven't been helpful to me in figuring out how to turn it off on a system where it is the default.