Re: Opinions about my partition

On Fri, 11 Jun 2010 08:56:15 -0400 (EDT), Roger Leigh wrote:
> On Sat, Jun 12, 2010 at 06:47:49AM +1930, Germana Oliveira wrote:
>> Hello!
>>
>> Im going to install a new Debian Lenny and im planning to do this:
>>
>> Disk 1 (10GB)
>> /boot
>> swap
>> /tmp
>> /home (it's going to be a server without GUI so, im not going to use
>> /home too much)
>>
>> Disk 2 (40GB)
>> /usr
>> /var
>> / (root)
>
> I second the opinion about using LVM.  You could also consider
> using RAID1 over 1GB of both disks:

I use LVM too, but not for that purpose.  I use LVM to combine multiple
physical volumes into a single logical volume.  For example, on the
s390 architecture, a 3390-3 DASD volume is about 2.2G.  If I want
a file system larger than 2.2G, I have to use LVM and add multiple
DASD volumes to a single logical volume.  So far, I have been able
to use programs such as partman from the Debian installer to resize
physical partitions without too much trouble and without data loss,
though I must admit that I haven't done it in a while.

Also, I'm not sure that I'd put /boot and / on different physical
disks.  That means that if *either* disk fails you can't boot, not
even into single user mode.

--
  .''`.     Stephen Powell
 : :'  :