Re: ntfs-config

On Thu, Jun 10, 2010 at 02:08:16PM -0700, ABSDoug wrote:
> --- On Thu, 6/10/10, 刘宇辉 <lyh19901223@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> <<< 1.First we can rely on a software  ntfs-3g (it may be installed by default)
>    # aptitude install ntfs-3g >>>
>
> I got that far, but wasn't sure what to do next.
>

> <<< 2. make dir that you want to mount ,here i assume it as /mnt/ntfs
>    $mkdir /mnt/nfts >>>
>
> I did some reading, but wasn't sure how this should look. A partition is simply represented as a simple folder to Linux. Neat!
>
> <<< 3. we edit the file ... (snip)
>
> Thanks again. I was afraid to mess with fstab on my own since I screwed it all up in Ubuntu. I'm still reading up on fstab. I've got the blkid terminal command & a couple good web pages. fstab is still messed up in Ubuntu, but I'll get it! Thanks again! BUT... I have a permission issue with that partition. I logged in as root, but could not effect change. Owner is unknown on this partition.

Rule of thumb:  back up files before messing with them.  In the case of
fstab, as root (or sudo):

cp /etc/fstab /etc/fstab.bak

That way you can always go back to what was working before you messed
with it.

By the way, I'm pretty sure most desktop environments have built-in
provisions for accessing ntfs, and you don't need to mess with fstab.
The ntfs drive is usually found under "computer" in the file manager.

-Rob