Re: Acer Aspire One wireless issue

On Tue, Jun 8, 2010 at 6:15 PM, ABSDoug <absdoug@yahoo.com> wrote:
> --- On Tue, 6/8/10, Hugo Vanwoerkom <hvw59601@care2.com> wrote:
>
>> Now wireless does’nt seem to work out of the box so you
>> need to:
>>
>> Make sure that non-free and contrib are selected in the
>> package list.
>>
>> Open a terminal and type the following:
>>
>> #su
>> #(Your root password)
>>
>> # apt-get update
>> # apt-get install build-essential module-assistant
>> madwifi-source
>
> Finally made it over to the router, in my roommate's room. After trying above & trying Synaptic... oy... system asks for the install disk... out comes the external drive, in goes the disk... but the system keeps asking for the disk even though I've got the disk in the external drive. This being a netbook, there is no internal drive.

When adding packages, your system needs to know where to look. To find
out, it looks at the list in /etc/apt/sources.list. Take a look at
that. You'll probably see that the first item(s) in the list refer to
the install disk.  So, until you get internet connection, you're gonna
need to use some other means . . . like the install disk to get
packages.

Once you get connected, DO SOME HOMEWORK and figure out how to edit
that file so that the system does not want to look at the install disk
all of the time, but rather "looks out" at the web.