Re: [OT] advice on finding programming help

On 6/8/2010 11:02 AM, Boyd Stephen Smith Jr. wrote:
On Tuesday 08 June 2010 10:46:03 Mark Allums wrote:
I was/am a computer guy (back in the day), but I have been out of touch
for some time.  I am looking for intermediate programming help---some
Debian-related---but in a mailing list format, not a message board forum.

Any suggestions?

What language?

Oh, the usual suspects, particularly C/C++.

In any case, sometimes there really isn't a good place to bounce questions off
of other users of your language. :(  A lot of time, it the read the docs,
guess, and test.

Debian-related stuff could go here, I suppose, but not a large percentage of
users here can also program.  If it deals with "Debian internals" (e.g. dpkg,
update-$foo, apt, etc.), then debian-devel might be able to help.

Thanks. I have a project to implement a small interpeted language (only console I/O). My implementation language is C++. At first, it won't "be Debian-involved"; that will come in pretty far down the road. I knew C++ to 98.6% fifteen years ago, but I'm rusty now.

(The language is internal use only at this point. Not a language with a previous implementation, or I would start there. I may GPL it at some future point if it ever sees the light of day. Not a list-oriented project, or I would use guile as a model.)

Thanks again,

MAA