Re: Update GRUB to GRUB2 / Lenny to Squeeze

On Sun, Jun 6, 2010 at 5:30 PM, lrhorer <lrhorer@satx.rr.com> wrote:

>>> That doesn't help.  Until grub2 is unpacked and configured, neither
>>> grub-probe nor grub-install (for GRUB 2) will exist.  I can't pass
>>> parameters to a binary that doesn't exist.  Passing them to the same
>>> respective file for GRUB legacy won't help, either.
>>
>> If you don't have grub-install, you are missing grub-common, upon
>> which grub-pc depends.
>
> Yes, of course.  The point you seem to be missing is that until the
> package is upgraded, those won't exist, and until they exist, I can't
> upgrade the package.

I am not missing any point. If you have grub-pc 1.98 installed without
grub-common 1.98 installed, grub2/grub-pc is broken, hence the error
when running "dpkg...". If you are worried about breaking grub1 after
installing grub2, you should know that, when you install grub2, you'll
be asked whether you want to chainload grub2 from grub1 or install
grub2 to the mbr. That doesn't guarantee that grub1'll not be broken,
but it's better than overwriting grub1's stage 1 loader immediately.

>>> It doesn't matter since `dpkg --configure grub-pc` overwrites it with
>>> the default every time before it gets to the point where it might be
>>> used.
>>
>> Who cares? You don't have to use "dpkg --configure...".
>
>        If you have more specific suggestions, I welcome them.  Telling me what
> I don't have to do is really not helpful.

Good luck with your problem...