Re: Update GRUB to GRUB2 / Lenny to Squeeze

On Sat, May 29, 2010 at 8:56 PM, lrhorer <lrhorer@satx.rr.com> wrote:

> I upgraded a box from "Lenny" to "Squeeze", but the update of GRUB to
> GRUB2 failed.  The box is running a pair of IDE hard drives with three
> partitions each.  Each partition on each drive is a RAID1 mirror of the
> same partition on the other drive.  The first partitions on both drives
> are members of /dev/md1, whihc is mounted as /boot.  When I run
>
> `dpkg --configure grub-pc`
>
> I get the following:
>
> Backup:/# dpkg --configure grub-pc
> Setting up grub-pc (1.98-1) ...
> Generating core.img
> /usr/sbin/grub-probe: error: no mapping exists for `md1'.
> Auto-detection of a filesystem module failed.
> Please specify the module with the option `--modules' explicitly.
> dpkg: error processing grub-pc (--configure):
>  subprocess installed post-installation script returned error exit
> status 1
>  grub-pc
>
> I searched the web for errors relating to this issue, and I found quite
> a number of references, but none were really helpful in resolving the
> issue.  (The fact it has been fixed in Ubuntu or Fedora and is going to
> be fixed in Debian really doesn't help me much.)  Where do I modify the
> package configuration to let grub-probe know which modules to load?  If
> GRUB2 were already configured, then I think I could manually modify the
> grub.cfg file to get it to work, but if GRUB2 were already configured,
> I wouldn't have the problem in the first place, and until GRUB2 is at
> least partially configured grub.cfg won't even exist.

You can't load modules for grub-probe.

But you can for grub-install.

The default modules that I have in a Sid VM for an install without
mdraid or lvm are:
minicmd, true, loadenv, extcmd, test, sh, normal, charset, terminal,
crypto, boot, part_msdos, ext2, fshelp, biosdisk

I have no idea whether they are hard-coded or there is a file
somewhere that can be edited to control to which ones grub-install
defaults.

But you can specify modules for grub-install with
grub-install --modules='raid mdraid <list above>' <device>

(What does your device.map look like?)