Re: lilo removal in squeeze (or, "please test grub2")

On Wed, 02 Jun 2010 10:23:54 -0400 (EDT), John Hasler wrote:
> Tom H writes:
>> I meant to say the Lenny repos (although I am curious to see whether
>> [Lilo] will really disappear from the Squeeze repos once Squeeze is
>> released).
>
> If it has an RC bug at the time of the release it will be removed.

As of right now, lilo has no release-critical bugs.  Bug number 505609
is marked as *affecting* lilo, and it is marked as release-critical,
but it is actually assigned to linux-2.6.  And I have now conclusively
proved that this is a bug in the kernel maintainer scripts.  (See my
recent posts to the bug log.)

The thing that amazes me is that this bug has been open since November
13, 2008.  It doesn't look like anyone even tried to diagnose the
problem.  I was able to diagnose the problem simply by reading the
symptoms in the bug report.  And I was able to fix it by simply
comparing the two maintainer scripts side by side.  And I don't even
know perl!

The idea that modern kernels are too big for lilo to load is a myth:
a myth whose origins are apparently tied to this bug report.  I am
currently running a machine that is using a recent stock Debian kernel,
2.6.32-3-686, using lilo, *without* the large-memory option, and it
loads and runs just fine!  (In fairness, I must also add that I use
MODULES=dep in /etc/initramfs-tools/conf.d/driver-policy.  I see no
reason to put stuff in my initial RAM file system that I don't need.)

--
  .''`.     Stephen Powell
 : :'  :