Re: Configuring ethernet tap on a new Debian install

On Wed, Jun 02, 2010 at 13:32 -0700, Peter Tenenbaum wrote:
> Wolodja -- in looking at the instructions on the backports.org website, I
> surmise that the instructions will download the new packages from the
> backports.org website and then install the updated kernel and everything that
> the updated kernel needs (ie, all its dependencies).
>
> Unfortunately, since the problem I'm trying to solve is that the network
> connection on my Debian workstation isn't supported, I'm assuming that this
> won't work.  I think that leaves me with two options:
>
> 1.  Walk through the dependency information provided at backports.org to
> identify all the packages which are needed by the updated kernel; download on
> my working computer (WinXP) and copy to optical or USB drive; use that to do
> the install.
>
> 2.  Since my Debian installation is brand new, I could also simply replace the
> Lenny install with a Squeeze install -- essentially, start over Squeeze.
>
> Does option (1) sound utterly unappealing?  I'm inclined to give it a shot,
> knowing that I can always fall back on option (2) if I totally botch (1).

Hehe - Should have anticipated that :)

Given that the (real) kernel package shouldn't have any dependencies you
can just download it directly from backports.org, transfer it to the
computer and install it manually.

In detail:

Download
--------

Get one of the following packages and transfer them using, for example,
an USB stick, to the other computer.

(i)  http://packages.debian.org/lenny-backports/linux-image-2.6.32-bpo.3-686
(ii) http://packages.debian.org/lenny-backports/linux-image-2.6.32-bpo.3-amd64

Installation
------------

You can install the package with "dpkg -i name_of_the_package.deb",
reboot your computer and you should then be able to use your NIC.

Post Installation Configuration
-------------------------------

I would advise you to follow the instructions on backports.org now and
install the linux-image-2.6-{686,amd64} metapackage in addition to the
(real) package installed before and issue the following command:

    aptitude markauto linux-image-2.6.32-bpo.3-{686,amd64}

This will ensure that the newest kernel from backports will always be
installed as linux-image-2.6-{686,amd64} depends on the newest "real"
kernel package. [2]

A completely different approach would be to use the installer from [1]
which are Lenny installation images with a newer kernel, but that should
not be necessary given that you have already installed Debian.

Have a nice day

    Wolodja

[1] http://kmuto.jp/debian/d-i/
[2] I assume that you have configured pinning as detailed on the
    backports.org website.
--
  .''`.     Wolodja Wentland    <wentland@cl.uni-heidelberg.de>
 : :'  :