Re: nvidia again looking for howto

On Thu, Jun 3, 2010 at 9:44 AM, Mathieu Malaterre <mathieu.malaterre@gmail.com> wrote:
On Wed, Jun 2, 2010 at 3:47 PM, Camaleón <noelamac@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, 02 Jun 2010 15:34:53 +0200, Jonas Stein wrote:
>
>> There are many ways to get a nvidia vga device running in debian. But
>> wich one is the debian way?
>> I tried different ways, bu i get different errormessages and
>> graphicerrors. I want to try an "official" way to install a NV FX 5200
>> befeore i create bugreports.
>>
>> Where can i find the latest howto about the nv installation with 3d
>> support? (...and dualhead viewport)
>
> I installed nvidia from Debian "non-free" repo by following these
> instructions:
>
> http://wiki.debian.org/NvidiaGraphicsDrivers

I think those instructions are deprecated. If you are using current
non-free you have to do something like:

apt-get install nvidia-kernel-dkms

It should automatically build the latest nvidia driver for your running kernel.

HTH
--
Mathieu

That's exactly what I've been wanting for a long time. Though one should note that in addition to installing that, it is also necessary to install nvidia-glx and nvidia-glx-ia32.