Re: ls has stopped using the ISO date format

On 06/01/2010 10:18 AM, H.S. wrote:
On 31/05/10 05:38 AM, Camaleón wrote:

Besides, I also tend to name the files and folders as
"2010-05-31_filename" and so on, they keep my mind (and my computer) in a
very well organized fit :-)

Totally agree. This is one of the main uses of ISO date format that I
routinely take advantage of. Most common scenario in my case is
organizing my photos (mostly scanned from film, digital as well). I have
a /path/to/photos directory and in that I have directories for each roll
or group of photos named something like 20100601_00_nn_Subject
(YYYYMMDD_<Roll number of that date>_<framenumber>_<subject string>).
This way, the default order of listing is always chronological. And for
the cases where I do not know the YYYY or MM or DD, I just use zeros.
Works pretty well. In fact, there is no other date format that can work
this good!

Further, the ISO date format has a structure where the resolution gets
finer as go towards the right. YYYY->MM->DD->HH->SS just shows smaller
time units as we read it.

I can understand if an average Joe sticks with non-ISO date formats. But
for logic and computer related stuff, ISO format is the best choice, IMHO.

jhead -n%Y%m%d-%H%M%S *.JPG

It reads the date/time stamp from a pic's Exif header and then renames the file.

--
Dissent is patriotic, remember?