Re: Squeeze and mobile broadband...

On Sun, 2010-05-30 at 21:01 -0500, lrhorer wrote:

>         Yep, it's a Huawei E220.  If you will look on the link I sent you, you
> will see it there.  It's a "flip-flop" device, also called "Zero-CD".
> When first inserted into a USB port, it is a drive device, similar to a
> USB "thumbdrive".  It contains the software windows needs to load in
> order to access the device.  Note the description:
>
>     Interface Descriptor:
>       bLength                 9
>       bDescriptorType         4
>       bInterfaceNumber        3
>       bAlternateSetting       0
>       bNumEndpoints           2
>       bInterfaceClass         8 Mass Storage
>       bInterfaceSubClass      6 SCSI
>       bInterfaceProtocol     80 Bulk (Zip)
>
>         The dongle looks like a SCSI device to the OS.  It needs to have its
> mode switched so it looks and acts like a modem (or in general whatever
> the secondary device might be), rather than a USB drive.  That's the
> purpose of usb_modeswitch.  After the switch takes place, it will look
> and act like a usb dial-up modem as far as Linux is concerned. (Some
> dongles also have drive devices built in to read and write memory
> sticks as well as their modem function.) Usb-modeswitch and
> usb-modeswitch-data are both part of the Debian "Squeeze" distro,
> although it doesn't look as if they are loaded automatically.  You will
> need to use apt-get (or aptitude, or synaptic, ...) to install them.
> Once usb_modeswitch is run, the output of lsusb will show something
> like:
>
> Bus 006 Device 002: ID 1f28:0020 Cal-Comp
> Device Descriptor:
>   bLength                18
>   bDescriptorType         1
>   bcdUSB               1.10
>   bDeviceClass            2 Communications
>   bDeviceSubClass         0
>   bDeviceProtocol         0
>   bMaxPacketSize0        64
>   idVendor           0x1f28 Cal-Comp
>   idProduct          0x0020
>   bcdDevice            0.00
>   iManufacturer           1 Cal-comp E&CC Limited
>   iProduct                2 Cal-comp CDMA USB Modem A600
>   iSerial                 0
>   bNumConfigurations      1
>   Configuration Descriptor:
>     bLength                 9
>     bDescriptorType         2
>     wTotalLength          189
>     bNumInterfaces          7
>     bConfigurationValue     1
>     iConfiguration          0
>     bmAttributes         0xa0
>       (Bus Powered)
>       Remote Wakeup
>     MaxPower              500mA
>     Interface Descriptor:
>       bLength                 9
>       bDescriptorType         4
>       bInterfaceNumber        0
>       bAlternateSetting       0
>       bNumEndpoints           1
>       bInterfaceClass         2 Communications
>       bInterfaceSubClass      2 Abstract (modem)
>       bInterfaceProtocol      1 AT-commands (v.25ter)
>       iInterface              3 Data Interface

> [...]

thank you very much Irhorer,
i appreciate you reply.
can you please tell me whether is it possible for me to apt-get before
an internet connection is established? or is it enough i have the cd1
only?

if not please, how can i download that in another machine which have
internet connection already.

thank you very much for your time.