Re: Automatic partial archive mirroring

On Mon, 31 May 2010 01:40:59 -0000
Cameron Hutchison <lists@xdna.net> wrote:

> I have a few debian unstable boxes that I like to keep up-to-date.
>
> Currently, I run apt-cacher-ng (a proxy for apt-get which stores
> packages so they don't need to be downloaded again) on my gateway box
> (lenny 32-bit), so I don't double download from my couple of other boxes
> (sid 64-bit). This works well enough, but I want to make it better.
>
> My internet connection has an off-peak period (2am-8am) where downloads
> are not counted in the monthly quota. I want my downloads to occur
> during this window, automatically.
>
> The problem is that the sid boxes are not powered-up during this window
> so I cannot just simply schedule a cronjob to do an apt-get -d
> dist-upgrade.
>
> I would like my lenny box to do this on behalf of my sid boxes. I dont
> really want to mirror the whole archive. Is there some way to do an
> intelligent partial mirror of the archive of what is installed on other
> boxes, without too much overhead of managing a package list? (i.e. I dont
> want to have to manually update some package list on my lenny box when I
> install a new package on a sid box).
>
> I've looked at apt-proxy, apt-cacher, apt-cacher-ng and approx, but they
> all appear to download on demand, not according to a schedule.

You could use use the output of 'dpkg --get-selections' on the Sid
boxes, pruning it using grep or similar to keep only the lines ending
with 'install'.  Combine the results from the various Sid boxes, and
then have the gateway box get those packages.  This could be scripted
easily enough, and there would be no need for manually updating
anything.

Celejar