Re: ls has stopped using the ISO date format

On Sat, May 29, 2010 at 21:17, Teemu Likonen <tlikonen@iki.fi> wrote:
> * 2010-05-29 20:25 (-0700), Brian Marshall wrote:
>
>> Recently, I noticed that the date format in the output from "ls -l"
>> has changed in squeeze. Before, it used the ISO standard (2010-05-29
>> 20:00) but now it's started printing "May 29 20:00" or "May 29 2009"
>> if it's not the current year.
>
>> I suspect it's coreutils' fault, because while the version of the
>> locales package is about the same in Ubuntu and Debian (2.11 and
>> 2.10), coreutils is significantly newer in Debian (8.5 compared to
>> 7.4).
>>
>> Can anyone else confirm this issue? Is it a bug or a feature? How can
>> I get ls to print the ISO date format again?
>
> Yes, the default has changed. You can change the default with TIME_STYLE
> environment variable, like this:
>
>    export TIME_STYLE=long-iso

I almost missed this thread, but it's a good thing I didn't.  I had been
using LC_TIME=en_DK.UTF-8 to get ISO format, but at some point that
stopped working, and I couldn't figure out what had happened.

And I have to agree with Camaleón and Ron that the ISO
format is a lot less confusing.

Cheers,
Kelly Clowers