Re: [ squeeze ] Grub2 RAID1 LVM2 boot failure

On Sat, May 29, 2010 at 7:06 AM, David Sastre Medina
<d.sastre.medina@gmail.com> wrote:

> Grub2 is failing to boot a softRAID1 + LVM2 squeeze box.
> The error is "can't find root_vg-root_lv". After that, it drops me to
> a initrd shell, but my USB keyboard stops working, so I must
> button-reboot.
> There are two kernels installed.
> I've attached grub.cfg. It's an automated cfg from update-grub2.
> I already tried adding rootdelay without success in /etc/default/grub
> GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="rootdelay=15 quiet"
> Weird stuff: I have upgraded this box from lenny a week ago or
> so. No problems booting.
> It used to have a bpo kernel, but since squeeze's repo has the
> same (2.6.32-3) kernel, I installed it and uninstalled the bpo one.
> No problems booting yet.
> Afterwards, I had to `/etc/init.d/vbox setup' to be able to use VBox
> again (dkms failed, it seems) and re-run the makeselved script to
> install the ATI propietary driver. This box has an ATI Radeon
> HD 4550.
> Kernel 2.6.32-2 stops booting, so I use 2.6.32-2 while I do some
> research about it.
> Yesterday, 2.6.32-2 booted without problems, but
> since I had ATI propietary driver installed only for 2.6.32-3, I run
> the installer in 2.6.32-2. Today this kernel doesn't boot either.
>
> root@sysresccd /root % mdadm --detail /dev/md0
> /dev/md0:
>           UUID : 8052f7d4:54a97fbb:731031f6:bc3d041c

Although unrelated to your ati install and what it may have done, I
see two possible problems when looking at your grub.cfg.

1. There isn't an "insmod lvm" within the menuentry stanza. ext2,
raid, and mdraid are insmod'd twice in the header and once in the
menuentry and lvm is inmod'd just once in the header. (This is one of
the grub2 mysteries; why multiple insmods of the same modules?). I
doubt that this is the source of the problem (the first insmod must be
enough!) but you could add "insmod lvm" within the menuentry.

2. In the uuid of the search line, what is
785366b0-d597-4e9c-9284-b6b9161236ed? One of your /dev/sX1's uuid?
Since raid and mdraid are loaded, can't you/shouldn't you use the md0
uuid above?