Re: Ugrade from Lenny to Squeeze on old PC Box - fsck died with exit status 8

Andrei Popescu <andreimpopescu@gmail.com> writes:

> On Fri,28.May.10, 10:07:38, Paul Chany wrote:
>> Sven Joachim <svenjoac@gmx.de> writes:
>> >
>> > The new kernel is probably using libata instead of the old IDE drivers,
>> > which means that your hard disk is called /dev/sda rather than /dev/hda.
>> > You should use labels or UUIDs in /etc/fstab if you want to use both the
>> > old and the new kernel.  The linux-base package from sid can help you
>> > with the conversion.
>>
>> I want to use only the newest kernel version 2.6.32-3-486.
>> What can I do in this case?
>
> It might be enough to replace all instances of hdaX with the
> corresponding sdaX, but UUID or labels are much safer anyway. I think
> linux-base (pointed out by Sven) will even automate (most of) the
> transition.

If I change in fstab all instances of hdaX to sdaX and after reboot
can't get the running system it would be bad. In that case shall I have
the opportunity to fix the problem?

On Squeeze how can i install linux-base package from SID?
(Sorry, this should be another threade..)

--
Regards,
Paul Chany