Re: installing deb files from unstable or testing

Israel Garcia schrieb:
Some times ago (I could not find on google), I could create a deb file
for my lenny from unstable or testing debian (done remember now). I
remember I follow some steps from a blog or something and I
successfully created a new version of a deb file. Can you help me to
get this steps?

As far as I understand, you would like to backport an unstable package for your stable system. Unless you don't want to pin your apt-get to unstable (or testing) do the following (so did I many times before when I used stable): Go to the debian unstable package *source* page and download manually the appropriate source file, the *.dsc file and the diff.gz file into
an empty folder.
In this folder you do "dpkg-source -x *.dsc" and your build-folder will be produced. In the root of this folder you make "dpkg-buildpackage -rfakeroot" and if all dependencies are met, you will get a *deb file which can be installed on your system with
"dpkg -i *.deb" ( all commands without "" ).
If the build process fails, you will be warned for unmet dependencies and sometimes the trouble begins! Maybe you even have to backport all dependencies, which isn't a funny thing to do for the whole gtk for example ;-) .