Monitoring network activity

Hi List

Every now and again the lights on my broadband modem start flashing which indicates package transmission/ receiving. When I have deliberately started an application to access the web (e.g. web browser, email client, etc.) that's fine. I do get a little concerned however when the lights flash and I cannot find an app that is accessing/ receiving info from the web.

How would I go about finding out what application is connecting to the web and/ or what is connecting to my machine to cause the modem light activity? I've tried ps -A and ps -aux but this shows up a lot of info which makes it difficult to see any particular activity that may be responsible.

Is there a bash command (or a GUI app) that will identify what the connection is and who/ what initiated it, etc.?

I'm using an up-to-date testing installation.

Thanks for any help.

AG