Re: lilo removal in squeeze (or, "please test grub2")

Stephen Powell <zlinuxman@wowway.com> writes:

> On Mon, 24 May 2010 05:29:56 -0400 (EDT), Ferenc Wagner wrote:
>
>> Stephen Powell <zlinuxman@wowway.com> writes:
>>>
>>> Both grub-legacy and grub-pc use sectors on the hard disk outside of
>>> the master boot record [...]
>>
>> You may want to try extlinux, it works much like LILO in this respect.
>
> Thanks for the tip.  That may be an option.  I looked at the documentation
> online, and there does not appear to be an option equivalent to lilo's
> vga option, though, which I use a lot, especially since svgatextmode
> has already been pulled from squeeze.

I'm not sure what you're after, I haven't used LILO for ages.  But
typing vmlinuz-2.6.32 vga=0xf07 at the pxelinux boot prompt gives me a
80x60 console.  The other variants use the same code.

>> It lacks a convenient configuration system, but that of grub-legacy
>> would be easy to adapt, and I actually plan to work on this.
>
> if you have the requisite skills to become the equivalent of lilo
> upstream, I think there's a lot of people who would rather that you do
> that, myself included.

Sorry, I don't trust in the future of LILO myself.  If there's anything
which only LILO can do, I recommend you start complaining on the
Syslinux and the Grub mailing lists.  I suppose it will be heard.
--
Regards,
Feri.