Re: Tiny terminal text after kernel update

On Mon, May 24, 2010 at 05:03:42PM +0100, Roger Leigh wrote:
> On Sun, May 23, 2010 at 04:28:55PM -0700, Todd A. Jacobs wrote:
> > After a recent kernel update, my linux terminal is now displaying
> > teeny-tiny text. How do I set the default terminal back to 80x25?
>
> Rather than disabling the high resolution display, as others
> suggested, I would advise a rather simpler solution, which is
> to use a larger console font than 8×16 which will solve the
> problem and give you a nicer display.

Note you need to install kdb in place of console-tools to
use large fonts.

[/etc/default/console-setup]
VERBOSE_OUTPUT="yes"
ACTIVE_CONSOLES="/dev/tty[1-6]"
CHARMAP="UTF-8"
CODESET="Uni3"
#FONTFACE=VGA
FONTFACE="TerminusBold"
FONTSIZE="32x16"
if [ -f /etc/default/keyboard ]; then
    . /etc/default/keyboard
fi

This gives a fairly nice large font on the console.  The VGA
font is blockier but replicates the 8x16 VGA font faithfully.
It would be nice if one could automatically create a
console font automatically from a TTF/OTF font such as
DejaVu Sans Mono, which would really look the part.

Other potential fonts.  Note, you only get some in
particular encodings.  Lat15 and Uni1/3 are OK for
most Latin usage.  I'm using Uni3 because it has some
useful symbols in addition to the main alphabetical
chars.
% ls /usr/share/consolefonts | grep 32 | egrep 'Lat15|Uni'
Lat15-Terminus32x16.psf.gz
Lat15-TerminusBold32x16.psf.gz
Lat15-VGA32x16.psf.gz
Uni1-VGA32x16.psf.gz