Re: Trying to install Google Earth on Lenny. How on earth??????

On Monday 24 May 2010 16:11:43 Stephen Powell wrote:
> On Mon, 24 May 2010 10:47:35 -0400 (EDT), Lisi wrote:
> > I have been trying to install Google Earth on Lenny ...
>
> Lisi,
>
> This is not really an answer to your question, but rather
> an alternative, especially since you are short of time.
> Both Yahoo and Mapquest have aerial photos available, down
> to fairly decent resolution in most areas.  I can clearly
> pick out my house on a 60'x120' lot using it.  It may be
> adequate for your purposes.  And in public places, such
> as the capitol building, I can pick out individual people,
> though I obviously can't tell who they are.  Try, for example,
>
>    http://www.mapquest.com/
>
> To see actual photographs, click on "Aerial map" in the
> upper right hand corner.  By default, it shows street names
> too, but you can turn that off by clicking off the check
> box for "show labels".  The zoom control is in the upper
> left-hand corner of the picture.

How I fared:

I could only persuade Yahoo maps to offer to get me from A to B, not show me
pictures of A.

Mapquest zoomed in on it beautifully, but had no pictures.  Two
different "maps", and I could turn the labels off under the aerial view, but
no pictures.  I presume that they photographed the USA first.

But thanks for the lateral thinking, Stephen.  It might have worked!!

I shall have to give up for the moment.

Lisi