Re: xorg-server failing on IBM NetVista with Intel 82815 video; was Re (6): Re^n: Grub vs. linux-image-2.6.32 conundrum

On Sat,22.May.10, 00:55:34, David Jardine wrote:

> > I see.  All comments.  Which is about the same as not having one.  Hmm.
>
> Or is it?  I'm as baffled as anyone alse by xorg configuration, but
> can't such a file, blank though it be, override some other config file?
> Just a thought.

It's not impossible to have different logic for when the file exists,
even if entirely commented out[1]. I can think of two ways to check
this:

- read the source
- diff Xorg.0.log files from starting X with an empty (or completely
  commented out) xorg.conf and one with an xorg.conf specifying the same
  driver X would choose.

[1] at least in shell scripts it's much easier to check for the
existence of a file than parsing its contents

Regards,
Andrei