Re: xorg-server failing on IBM NetVista with Intel 82815 video; was Re (6): Re^n: Grub vs. linux-image-2.6.32 conundrum

On Wed, 19 May 2010 15:32:01 -0400 (EDT), Peter Easthope wrote:
> Stephen Powell wrote:
>> Please post your /etc/X11/xorg.conf file as well.
>
> It contains only commented lines from previous
> experiments.  Hasn't changed since the log was
> recorded.  Should be visible here.
>
>         http://carnot.pathology.ubc.ca/dalton.xorg.conf

I see.  All comments.  Which is about the same as not having one.  Hmm.
Well, going back to an earlier post:

On Tue, 11 May 2010 16:29:39 -0700, Peter Easthope wrote:
> dalton:/home/peter# startx
> (EE) open /dev/fb0: No such file or directory
> SELinux: Disabled on system, not enabling X server
>
> waiting for X server to shut down ...
>
> dalton:/home/peter#

What puzzles me is the message, "waiting for server to shut down".  What
caused that error?  Did you do a Ctrl+Alt+Backspace to request a shutdown?
Or did it shutdown automatically?  If so, what caused the error?  Was it
the "/dev/fb0: No such file or directory" error?  Or was it SELinux-related?
I've never had any SELinux-related problems on my system.  Just for grins,
let's try an /etc/X11/xorg.conf file that looks like this:

-----

     Section "Device"
             Identifier      "Configured Video Device"
             Driver          "intel"
     EndSection

     Section "Monitor"
             Identifier      "Configured Monitor"
     EndSection

     Section "Screen"
             Identifier      "Default Screen"
             Device          "Configured Video Device"
             Monitor         "Configured Monitor"
             DefaultDepth    16
             Subsection      "Display"
                     Depth           16
                     Modes           "1024x768" "800x600" "640x480"
             EndSubSection
     EndSection

     Section "ServerLayout"
             Identifier      "Default Layout"
             Screen          "Default Screen"
     EndSection

-----

This forces it to use the intel driver or die.  It won't try any other.
And it gives it three standard resolutions to try.
Maybe we can tweak it later, but let's see if it will
at least display something.

--
  .''`.     Stephen Powell
 : :'  :