Re: Chromium in Sid

On Friday 21 May 2010 10:48:44 Steve Fishpaste wrote:
> On Fri, May 21, 2010 at 10:42:16AM -0500, Boyd Stephen Smith Jr. uttered:
> > On Friday 21 May 2010 10:23:15 Steve Fishpaste wrote:
> > > In my opinion we should keep up with the new releases at least weekly.
> > > Is this on the agenda to do?
> >
> > You volunteering?  Contact the maintainer(s).
>
> Sure if I can help in any way I'd be happy to.

Then contact the maintainers.  They may or may not be watching this mailing
list.

> > If not, you'll just have to wait for the other volunteers to get around
> > to it.
>
> If they're not going to keep up with upstream, then why in the hell
> bother.

Because older versions are still valuable to the vast majority of users.
Keeping up with upstream is *one* of the many responsibilities of a Debian
Maintainer.

> People want a recent release in a web browser, especially in
> Sid!

The are a *vast* number of things that go into a Debian release that have
nothing to do with upstream's schedule.  Sid is a staging ground for packages
meant for release, not just upstream's tarball compiled and thrown into a deb.
(Although, that may very well be what you are getting out of a PPA or OBS.)

Web browsers don't need updating any more often that any other piece of
software.  I'm using IceWeasel from backports and Konqueror from testing, and
they serve their purpose quite well.