Newbie needinhg a screen reader

I am a current Windows XP User but want to convert to Linux.

I have downloaded the Debian 5.0.4 CD and need to know which other CD's
I need to download to have a working screen reader.   Since I only have
a dialup connection I need the CD's to install required packages rather
than trying to do them over the internet. My wife and grandchildren can
help me with installation.   Any suggestions would be appreciated.  I
have tried Vinux 3.0 but Ubuntu does not include modem support.
--
David Hoff Jr <dhoffjr@att.net>