Question regarding Mutt

Hello dear list,

I have a question regarding encrypting and signing an email in mutt
with an (yet) unsigned public key.

A colleague of mine has a new pgp-key which is only self-signed yet. I
downloaded it from a key-server an tried to write an encrypted email to
him. As expected mutt warned me about using an unknown key an asked me
explicitly to continue. After I entered my passphrase for signing gpg
refused to encrypt the mail saying "unusable public key".

Now trying to encrypt (and signing) something from command line with
the key seemed to work, at least no error messages were reported.

This is what I was expecting from mutt too, since in both cases I was
asked explicitly to proceed (which is what I want). So I figured it
may be some option in my mutt config which causes this difference. But
I am using plain gpg.rc file from debians mutt package, sourced by my
mutt config.
Calling gpg with the same options set by gpg.rc in variable
pgp_encrypt_sign_command also worked. The only thing I didn't
completely reproduced is the %?a?... magic after the --sign option.

Since I do not want to add an --always-trust option in my gpg.rc and
think that encrypting to an (yet) unsigned key should be possible, I
wonder where the problem might be.
Maybe I just misunderstood something so any hints are welcome.

An google search brought up some hints about key-server mangling
subkeys may causing this error, but using another key-server didn't help.
I had to (temporally) sign the key for encryption in mutt to work.

Kind regards,

Dominik Pluemacher

PS: please CC me since I am not subscribed to this list (yet).