Re: Moving a drive to another computer

On Wed, 19 May 2010, Paul E Condon wrote:

On 20100519_124653, Vince Vielhaber wrote:

A friend was running windows and the viruses got the best of it. She
sent me the drive so I could get her pics and documents off of it and
put 5.0.4 on it and send it back (she's a few states away).

What problems (and solutions) should I be expecting when she installs
the drive in her computer?  I'm assuming the network setup will be one
problem.

My background is mainly in FreeBSD.  If a drive is set up as being
/dev/ad0 and the other machine sees it as /dev/ad4 it won't complete
the boot, it'll complain with a cannot mount root error.  Will that be
an issue with Debian?

Thanks!
Vince.

Since your asking I assume you've never done it before.
Split the job into two separate tasks:
1) Get the pix off.
2) Install 5.0.4

1) install the drive as a second HD on a computer that boots
from the first HD, and explore what is on the drive. Mount your
friend's drive ro (read only). Depending on how many pix you find,
choose an appropriate storage medium to copy pix to.

Then 2) install 5.0.4, which will be much less nerve wracking if you
don't have to worry about losing the pix.

I'm just not sure about the linux part.  The first thing I did was
copied the entire windows drive to one on my desktop.  The pix and
stuff are safe.  I just want the installation on her end to be as
painless (for both of us) as possible.

I just set up my daughter's machine the same way this one will be
set up so I'm going to apply the suggestions I got earlier to my
daughter's drive and move it to another machine (or three) and see
how it goes.  I'm really not a fan of surprises!

Thanks!
Vince.
--
  Michigan VHF Corp.   http://www.nobucks.net/   http://www.CDupe.com/