Re: How to keep debian current??

Erwan David schreef:
Sjoerd Hardeman wrote:
Osamu Aoki schreef:
Why??? I think he made a correct judgement.
He said "I can live with old apps".

He can always run sid in chroot or virtual machine.  But the fact that
he is asking this question is the proof, he should get to lern Debian
system now.

Once he will get to used to Debian system, he can do sid as I do or Ron
does.  But I think it is premature.  Give him few months, he will....

This is a very sane advice. I also started with a stable install, but
after some time I decided I can handle testing. The problem is not that
it's hard to run testing because it breaks, it is just a bit more likely
to break in which case it is good to have some experience sorting out
the debris. For unstable, this is probably even more true.

I would say that the problem with testing is more that it does not get
immediately the security patrch that Sid and stable gets, since they
wait before being committed from sid to testing.
This is being said more often, but simply not true: http://secure-testing-master.debian.net/

(ANd if I remember there is an "exeprimental" also)
Yup. But experimental is not a distribution. It is just a staging for sid, and hence not complete and unusable by itself.

Sjoerd