Re: Re: apect ration change on wide monitor

> As others have mentioned, LCDs are always used best at their native
> resolution. What exactly do you need the 4:3 aspect ratio for?
>
> For example, if you have video content in lower resolutions and 4:3
> aspect ratio you'd better let the player do software upscaling, it will
> look better anyway. For other problems there might be other solutions.

You guess is right. It is mainly for films that are all in lower res
than 640x480. Tour advise to use software upscaling is sound but
unfortunately not applicable in my current situation. Even whet it is
played in normal resolution mplayer is complaining that my system is
too slow to play the film. My CPU is 366 MHz PII (Celeron) and I have
MGA100 graphical chip with 6 Mb VideoRAM. As it looks like I am stuck
with this box in foreseeable future too.
And when I change to lower resolution all actors/actress looks like
they urgently need some 'Loose Fat Fast' medicine urgently (poor
Nicole Kidman)

Sometimes I do switch to lower resolution and use that as magnifier to
better see some details of picture or webpage or something.

Another use case when I like to have 4:3 aspect ratio is when I switch
to MS Windows. For one thing XP as installed on my box does not allow
me to use wide screen at all. It only offer 000x600 and 1024x768
resolution (I guess this could be fixed if I reinstall XP). And I do
not care really for this as the only reason I am keeping XP around is
to play some games. And all the games when played in fullscreen are
4:3. At least those I do play. Since my box is so limited I do not
have almost any game released after year 1998 (or 2000).

So after reading replays my conclusion is that none of LCD wide
monitors do not offer possibility to change aspect ratio by software.
Same that designers of monitor and protocol that its use to
communicate with computer did not thing about this feature.
I hope that I am wrong.

Martin