Configuration errors using tor, privoxy & polipo

Dear all

On an up-to-date testing machine, I am using Iceweasel + tor + privoxy. Florian helped me with an issue like this sometime back, but revisiting his helpful advice has not helped on this occasion.

The situation is as follows:

Using Iceweasel, I enable the tor button and receive a warning message "Tor proxy test: local HTTP proxy is unreachable. Is polipo running properly?"

Well, no because polipo wasn't installed - why and when this suddenly became a necessity I don't know, but anyway I installed polipo and configured it according to the tutorial on http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Polipo which, in my circumstances, required me to uncomment this line in the config file:

        socksParentProxy = localhost:9050

Having restarted the daemons, and still getting the same error and no connection, I pointed the browser at privoxy as per the polipo configuration page referred to above, in the preferences/ network settings tab, and in the polipo config file, I uncommented the line:

        socksParentProxy = localhost:9050

I then restarted polipo, double-checked the privoxy config file to ensure that forwarding was still set as required and restarted the tor and privoxy daemons. However, I still get the same error messages (basically cannot connect to web-pages) and the tor test gives the same results as before.

From researching this on the web, I am unable to ascertain whether or not I even need polipo, but the preferences settings tab for the tor button have a check-box for using polipo, so it appears as if tor is now expecting polipo to be installed and running as default. But, I have now reached the limit of what I know what to do or can figure out. I am also conscious of the risk of screwing things up further in an effort to fix this, so before proceeding further would like to ask this list for help and advice.

I appreciate any thoughts/ ideas.

Thanks

AG