Re: VLC will lag when reading local videos, whatever the codec

On Sat, 15 May 2010 20:18:03 +0200, Merciadri Luca wrote:

> Camaleón writes:
>
>> Does this happen if you play the videos with another media player
>> (Totem, Xine, MPlayer, etc...)?

> Yes. Both take some time to go further in the video. I sometimes have to
> wait ~5 secs. to get the video start at the asked time, whatever the
> player: Totem, MPlayer.

Strange. If you haved tested with several video file containers (video
formats), different audio/video codecs and also using different video
players and all of them behaves in the same manner... I would suspect
about the performance of video card.

>> No, but I guess it would depend on many factors, i.e., good hardware
>> (graphic card chipset) is required to avoid video jumps, lags or
>> pauses.

> It should not be the hardware, as my graphic card works perfectly under
> other circumstances. The CPU is also ~0% when testing, so not this too.
> Same for HDDs.

Yes, but not all video cards perform good when playing HD (or HD ready)
videos. For instance, Intel cards (the ones you can find embedded into
the majority of netbooks) are not the most suitable for high quality
video streaming/playing :-)

>> Also, the transmission method is important. Playing HD video files over
>> the network (remotely by Internet or locally by means of samba or NFS)
>> it could also affect. Moreover, playing the video files "wirelessly",
>> can harden the situation.

> Unfortunately, these are ~50 M videos, sometimes even without any sound,
> and their quality is not HD, sure. They are read _locally_ so from my
> local hdd to my screen: no network.

O.k.

>>> What would it be due to?
>>
>> Many causes. But if the file plays fine with another player, you can
>> blame VLC :-)

> I suspect the codecs are problematic. But why would they be so?

Which codecs do you find to be problematic? :-?

Try with several video files using different video codecs and make some
performance tests.

Note that every video player uses its own set of codecs (VLC and MPlayer
at least, Totem maybe uses system-wide a/v installed codecs) so
performance may vary between them.

One more question, though... how about a DVD video? It renders the
same? :-?

Greetings,

--
Camaleón