Re: MD subsystem is not loaded

Hugo Vanwoerkom wrote:
Hi,

When I install a kernel I get "MD subsystem is not loaded" as a warning:

<snip>

See that is exactly the trouble with rolling ur own kernel. I never set RAID options. Which? Good question. So I made an "educated guess" (what?) and set:

hugo@debian:/hda10/backup.files$ diff .config.2.6.33.4-nodebian .config.2.6.33.4-RAID-nodebian
3,4c3,4
< # Linux kernel version: 2.6.33.4-hvw
< # Thu May 13 13:24:07 2010
---
 > # Linux kernel version: 2.6.33.4
 > # Fri May 14 13:32:21 2010
920c920
< # CONFIG_RAID_ATTRS is not set
---
 > CONFIG_RAID_ATTRS=m
1095c1095,1117
< # CONFIG_MD is not set
---
 > CONFIG_MD=y
 > CONFIG_BLK_DEV_MD=m
 > CONFIG_MD_LINEAR=m
 > CONFIG_MD_RAID0=m
 > CONFIG_MD_RAID1=m
 > CONFIG_MD_RAID10=m
 > CONFIG_MD_RAID456=m
 > CONFIG_MD_RAID6_PQ=m
 > # CONFIG_ASYNC_RAID6_TEST is not set
 > CONFIG_MD_MULTIPATH=m
 > CONFIG_MD_FAULTY=m
 > CONFIG_BLK_DEV_DM=m
 > # CONFIG_DM_DEBUG is not set
 > CONFIG_DM_CRYPT=m
 > CONFIG_DM_SNAPSHOT=m
 > CONFIG_DM_MIRROR=m
 > CONFIG_DM_LOG_USERSPACE=m
 > CONFIG_DM_ZERO=m
 > CONFIG_DM_MULTIPATH=m
 > CONFIG_DM_MULTIPATH_QL=m
 > CONFIG_DM_MULTIPATH_ST=m
 > CONFIG_DM_DELAY=m
 > CONFIG_DM_UEVENT=y
2413a2436,2441
 > CONFIG_XOR_BLOCKS=m
 > CONFIG_ASYNC_CORE=m
 > CONFIG_ASYNC_MEMCPY=m
 > CONFIG_ASYNC_XOR=m
 > CONFIG_ASYNC_PQ=m
 > CONFIG_ASYNC_RAID6_RECOV=m
hugo@debian:/hda10/backup.files$

We'll see if the "MD subsystem" gets loaded.
And why are there no google hits for this? Who knows.

After changing my kernel with the above, the "MD subsystem" loads because now I get:

Assembling MD arrays...done (no arrays found in config file or automatically).

So it depends on one or more of those kernel configs, at least in 2.6.33.4.

Trouble is that years ago when I started compiling my own kernel, I did not start a file with 3 columns: date - function - reason for adding, so now I have a kernel that keeps getting bigger and I don't know specifically why the entries are there, other than in general, like the ones above.

Hugo