Re: Is acroread blind, or ps2pdf dangerous?

Mark Allums wrote:
> On 5/14/2010 2:41 AM, Andrei Popescu wrote:
>
> I believe SOP on Windows is to always use a working copy, not the
> original file.  When it is time to exit the application, the working
> copy is "moved" onto the original.  The OS handles the move, and how
> Windows actually does that is something I'm not familiar with.
>
> Saving a file does not necessarily overwrite the original file.
> Instead, the changes are written to the working copy.  It is a matter
> of policy, so different programs can act differently.  When the file
> is closed, though, the saved changes are made permanent.
>
> So, this OS "limitation" is a matter of differing philosophies.   To
> get a certification of "Made for Windows", certain practices must be
> adhered to.  A lesser certification "Works with Windows" is also
> available.
>
> In other words, the behavior of an application is still up to the
> author of the program, in spite of the monopolistic tendencies of
> Microsoft. Increasingly, though, programmers must jump through lots of
> hoops to get the behavior they want.
>
> One common bad behavior of Windows apps is opening a file and never
> closing it.  It remains open until the person editing it closes it in
> the app.  This causes files to remain blocked for the duration and
> leads to all manner of disasters.  It the event of a serious crash,
> all those open files become casualities.   (Which is one reason why
> the practice of using working copies is so prevalent.)
>
> I find it interesting that Acroread's behavior is different in Linux.
> The programmers of the Linux version seem to be aware of *nix standard
> practice.  This is a good thing, I think.
I totally agree with you. I was so suprised that acroread shown no error
under Linux that I thought there was a bug. It often happens to modify a
PDF and compile the source files, having forgotten the fact that the PDF
viewer is still open with the PDF. I remember that when doing the whole
process: latex -> dvi2ps -> ps2pdf under Windows, it was frustrating to
notice (too late) that the PDF was still open in a window when ps2pdf
wanted to replace it.

--
Merciadri Luca
client, please contact me.