Is acroread blind, or ps2pdf dangerous?

Hi,

When compiling any .tex document using the route latex -> dvips ->
ps2pdf, I get a PDF. Normal, but the problem is that if I the PDF is
already opened (e.g. because I was reading the version of the document
before having modified and compiled it) when the compilation and the
whole process ends, the opened PDF is blank, i.e. the current page
becomes white, and every page I go at is white. If I then re-open the
document, I find the new version of my PDF.

I would like to know how this process actually works. For me, it looks
like the ps2pdf tool creates the PDF from scratch, and overwrites the
old PDF. But why am I receiving no warning message from acroread?
Anyway, acroread seems not to be locking the file, or, if so, ps2pdf
forces the writing.

Thanks.

--
Merciadri Luca