SCIM, anthy, and French

I'm using scim, anthy (and there was another package; I forget its name)
to enable myself to switch between Japanese and ordinary US Emglish input
methids using control-space.

But I'd like also the be able to switch in a French input method --
something that treats the accents as dead keys would be fine when I'm
typing French, but not otherwise.  So, having a third input method for
control-space to switch between would seem to be ideal.

But I can't figure out how to set that up.  (currently running Debian
squeeze on an Asus 1000HE.)

-- hendrik

.