Re: Flash is open?

On Thu, 13 May 2010 19:35:06 -0500

> On 05/13/2010 06:31 PM, Celejar wrote:
> > Adobe claims that they publish the Flash specs:

> > http://www.adobe.com/choice/openmarkets.html
> >
> > I always thought that the reason for all the trouble with Flash on
> > Linux is that Flash was a closed standard.
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SWF#Licensing
> >                                             If the spec is published,
> > why are the FLOSS players so far behind Adobe's player?  Is it just
> > that difficult to design a good player?
>
> I think so.  Also, not many people work on gnash and only part of
> the spec was opened (since Adobe doesn't own all the tech it uses).

As far as I can gather from the Wikipedia article, these days the
complete Flash specs are available, with the exception of the Sorenson
Spark codec, which Adobe can't release since it isn't their property.
So Adobe's claim is largely true, at least as a description of the
current state of affairs.

Celejar