Re: libc6 upgrade lenny to squeeze failed, now dpkg is broken

On 2010-05-11 22:11 +0200, Chris Austin wrote:

> I was required to upgrade libc6 from lenny to squeeze in order to meet
> dependencies to install a package from unstable, but the libc6 upgrade
> failed because libc-bin was not installed.

How could this happen, given that libc6 depends on libc-bin?

> Now dpkg is broken.  I
> tried a manual reinstall of the lenny libc6, as suggested in another
> thread on this list, but it did not work.  The result was:

> debian:/home/chris# dpkg -i libc6_2.7-18lenny2_i386.deb
> dpkg: `ldconfig' not found on PATH.
> dpkg: 1 expected program(s) not found on PATH.
> NB: root's PATH should usually contain /usr/local/sbin, /usr/sbin and /sbin.
>
> How can this be fixed?

Use the "--force-bad-path" option, see "dpkg --force-help".

>  And shouldn't there be a big warning that trying to upgrade libc6 can
>  break dpkg, on the Debian website page for libc6?

There is, actually this holds for any package:

,----[ http://packages.debian.org/en/squeeze/i386/libc6/download ]
| If you are running Debian, it is strongly suggested to use a package
| manager like aptitude or synaptic to download and install packages,
| instead of doing so manually via this website.
`----

Follow this advice and do not use dpkg directly if you don't know what
you're doing.  Especially not for required packages.

Sven