Re: 64 bit-flash failing sites (was: What to choose for Core i5 64 bits?)

On Tue, 11 May 2010 12:26:21 -0400, Jordan Metzmeier wrote:

>> Users having problems with flash plugin on their 64 bits OS can install
>> a 32 bits browser and run the 32 bits plugin, which is annoying but it
>> should work.
>>

> Does this work natively or does it require a chroot?

Natively... AFAIK, I see two approaches:

1/ Firefox can be downloaded from Mozilla site (and Mozilla does not
provide a 64-bit version for their browser, only 32-bit binaries). Once
downloaded, no need to install anything, just click and run. Then, you
can download the flash plugin (32 bits) and store it under Firefox
plugins folder.

2/ Installing Firefox/Iceweasel standalone in a concrete directory so it
gets no messed with the 64-bits installation and put there the 32-bits
plugins.

In fact, IIRC, the second option was the most used when no flash nor java
plugin was available natively for 64 bits systems.

And last, there is the option you already mentioned, making a chroot
environment and run it from there :-)

Greetings,

--
Camaleón