Re: Replace hardware without reinstall debian lenny

On Tue, 11 May 2010 11:05:55 -0400, Tom H wrote:

> On Tue, May 11, 2010 at 9:47 AM, Camaleón wrote:

>>> Thanks, Tom - I may be getting confused with that.
>>
>> No, Lisi, you are right. Here is the thread:
>>
>> question about fstab in squeeze and uuid
>> http://lists.debian.org/debian-user/2010/03/msg01026.html
>
> I've just skimmed through that thread's posts. There were no hardware
> changes there and no moving of a disk from one box to another.

The main point was that UUID can change under some circunstances
(formatting and partitioning).

> Interestingly, no one asked the OP how he created space for Squeeze in
> his disk!

Getting a change of the UUID is very uncommon and that is indeed, one of
the preferred methods for designating devices (both, UUID and/or ID).
LABEL and PATH are another option, but also have their own problems.

LABEL is most used for usb devices.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón