Re: How to Find a Printer Driver?

Kent West wrote:
I tried installing hpijs-ppds, but I still don't see the CM3530 listed; I do now see a Color Laserjet 3550 (without the CM, and not the 3530), but who knows if that'd work? Not me.

The hplip-gui package is already installed, but running "hplip-gui" did nothing. "man hplip-gui" did nothing (I thought all Debian packages are supposed to have a man page, even if it does nothing more than point to some other documentation?). (Looking in /usr/share/doc/hplip-gui would have eventually maybe clued me to the hp-toolbox, but thankfully you've already pointed me to it so I didn't have to dig blindly.)

The hp-toolbox said no device is set up, and to run hp-setup (as root). It failed to automagically find my printer, but I chose to use the Manual button and enter the printer's IP address, and now it presents me with a list of six possible PPD drivers, none of which have names very close at all to my printer (cm4730, cm6030, cm4730, and Postscript variants of those).

Arg.

Thanks for the help though. At least I'm seeing stuff I've never seen before. (And they say Windows is hard to configure. Pfft. (Sorry for the ranting; I'm just frustrated. I really do love Debian, and really do hate Windows.))

So I manually downloaded HPLIP from HP's web site (http://hplipopensource.com/hplip-web/downloads.html), but when I try to run it, it complains about gcc not being installed. So I aptitude installed gcc, and then tried again, and it still complains about gcc not being installed.

Arg!

--
Kent West     <*)))><
http://kentwest.blogspot.com