Re: Replace hardware without reinstall debian lenny

> My debian server will soon get a complete new hardware (motherboard, cpu,
> memory, stb.).
> Have anybody a good idea how to replace the old computer without reinstall
> the whole system?

Yup: use your old disk in the new machine (or make a clone if you want
to use a new disk).
In 99% of the cases, it will pretty much work out of the box.  I've done
that many times (I basically have made one Debian testing install, back
in 2003 and then keep on cloning it to the new machines I get).
Usually the things I bump into are:
- different arch (e.g. if you want to use an amd64 kernel on your new
  machine, but were using something else before).
- /etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-* rules, which I just remove.
- hardware specific tweaks you had made on the old hardware or that you
  need on the new hardware.  Things like /etc/X11/xorg.conf (tho
  nowadays an empty file works for most systems), /etc/modules, maybe
  some firmware-* packages you need for the new hardware.

        Stefan