Re: Hptalx is buggy once calculator is plugged and linked

Camaleón <noelamac@gmail.com> writes:

> On Sat, 08 May 2010 22:18:05 +0200, Merciadri Luca wrote:
>
>> Camaleón writes:
>>
>>> Can you see the "Awaiting Server Cmd." message in calculator's display?
>
>> Pointing this out is a good thing, but I had already tested this.
>> Actually, since I installed many programs in Spanish, my calculator is
>> (to my dismay) in Spanish, and I get, by pressing and holding right
>> shift and by pressing the right arrow, on the calculator,
>>
>> ==
>> Espero comand.Servidor
>> ==
>>
>> It looks like
>>
>> ==
>> Awaiting Server Cmd.
>> ==
>
> Ah, in Spanish. Curious :-). Yes, so it translates.
>
>> and, evidently, doing *another* combination of keys gives me a text with
>> the Xmodem server.
>>
>> Thus, what I am doing is right.
>
> O.k.
>
>>> Port "100"? What kind of port nomenclature is that? :-?
>> I do not know. I also wondered.
>>
>>> I would expect "/dev/ttyUSB0" for an USB device or "/dev/ttyS0" for the
>>> first rs-232 port...
>> Me too.
>>
>>> I think the application is crashing because cannot establish a
>>> connection with the device.
>> Such a (trivial, as habitual) case should have been handled by the
>> developers, shouldn't it?
>
> Yes... I would report. But also take a look into this:
>
> Connect HP 50g (or HP 49g+) to a Linux Box with hptalx
> http://bleedux.wordpress.com/2010/03/11/connect-hp-50g-to-a-linux-box-with-hptalx/
>
> And see if that helps. It seems to be written for ArchLinux (another
> linux distribution) but it points some interesting things that you can
> check.
Actually, I thought kermit was installed on this computer, but it was
not. I just installed it, and, now, hptalx starts and does everything
smoothly. The bug was thus due to ckermit, which was nowhere on my
disk. However, I think that they would have better warned about
it. Thanks a lot!
- --
Merciadri Luca
- --

No man is rich enough to buy back his past. (Oscar Wilde)