Re: How to flush cache of certain disk?

On 6 May 2010 18:53, Camaleón wrote:
>>> I never do that way. I always first "umount" the device and then, I
>>> remove the stick, but not the reverse. Removable media has to be done
>>> that way, to prevent data loss or flash drive damage, or that is what
>>> manufacturers say :-?
>>
>> Of course, "umount, then remove" is the normal way to remove USB stick
>> (and any other storage). But as far as main idea of automounting is
>> "easy (un)plug" (in my opinion at least), we have little weird but
>> working principle "sync, then unplug, and udev will carry out everything
>> else". As I already said, it's really weirds, but it works.
>
> Mmm, I still fail to see your point for performing a "sync" operation.
> Umount won't allow the device to be unmounted if it's busy (writing/
> reading data) so it's a single and safer operation (umount -> unplug).

Now, I run sync manually, then unplug device, and after it umount are
ran by udev. Actually there's no certain point in doing so: I can run
umount instead of sync as well. The only reason why it's done like
this is the following: I just copied this configuration from
somebody's blog and didn't modify it (well, I *almost* didn't).

> I also have a Gmail account and used webmail interface not so time ago,
> so I am aware of the annoyance to have to delete the OP's e-mail address
> when replying in some lists... I switched to Mutt (for private e-mails)
> and use a news reader (for mailing lists). No more webmail O:-)

Yeah, that's exactly what I'm intended to do: switch to mutt. What
news reader do you mean? Is it some kind of plugin for mutt, or is it
separate application at all? Excuse me for offtop, you can answer
privately if you want.

Sincerely,
Alexander Batischev