Re: How to flush cache of certain disk?

On Thu, 06 May 2010 18:04:41 +0300, Alexander Batischev wrote:

(...)

>> I never do that way. I always first "umount" the device and then, I
>> remove the stick, but not the reverse. Removable media has to be done
>> that way, to prevent data loss or flash drive damage, or that is what
>> manufacturers say :-?
>
> Of course, "umount, then remove" is the normal way to remove USB stick
> (and any other storage). But as far as main idea of automounting is
> "easy (un)plug" (in my opinion at least), we have little weird but
> working principle "sync, then unplug, and udev will carry out everything
> else". As I already said, it's really weirds, but it works.

Mmm, I still fail to see your point for performing a "sync" operation.
Umount won't allow the device to be unmounted if it's busy (writing/
reading data) so it's a single and safer operation (umount -> unplug).

> But all you said made me hard thinking about the way I mount and unmount
> my removable media. Maybe I should forget about sync and use 'umount
> /mnt/sd[a-z]' instead, or even write little script which will ask me
> which device I want to unmount… Dunno. But thanks for sharing your
> thoughts with me!

You're welcome :-)

> P.S. Camaleón, please forgive me for sending previous mail directly to
> you, not to the list. I think it's time to drop GMail web interface and
> switch back to local email client…

No problem.

I also have a Gmail account and used webmail interface not so time ago,
so I am aware of the annoyance to have to delete the OP's e-mail address
when replying in some lists... I switched to Mutt (for private e-mails)
and use a news reader (for mailing lists). No more webmail O:-)

Greetings,

--
Camaleón